(415) 395-9331 ext. 321
From Katy's interview for the Masters of Immigration Law series on ReelLawyers.com
Ms. Lopez loves running long distances in her free time. She feels that practicing immigration law requires similar skills: perseverance and a positive outlook.
Ms. Lopez works with companies and nonprofits to attain H, L, O and TN nonimmigrant visas for foreign-national employees. She secures permanent residency for foreign nationals based on their outstanding research, extraordinary ability, and work in the national interest, and guides clients through the PERM process. Ms. Lopez also advises employers on I-9 and E-Verify compliance. In both 2013 and 2014, Ms. Lopez was named a Rising Star in Northern California by Super Lawyers for excellence in immigration law. Previously a journalist, Ms. Lopez now applies her fact-hunting and story-telling skills to advocating for clients.
Education: Northwestern University, B.A., Journalism, 2003. UC Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2008.
Professional Memberships: California Bar Member; American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA); Media Coordinator, Northern California Chapter, AILA, 2009 to present; Bar Association of San Francisco.
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- 2020: "Immigration Compliance, including I-9 Best Practices," May WSM Webinar, "Developing Immigration Policies," September WSM Webinar.
- 2019: "Immigration Compliance, including I-9 Best Practices," April WSM Webinar.
- 2018: "Immigration Compliance, including Site Visits and I-9 Best Practices," April WSM Webinar.
- 2017: "BAHA, Preparing for Site Visits & Mastering Immigration compliance," September WSM Webinar; "New Form I-9," January WSM Webinar.
- 2016: "I-9s and E-Verify," September WSM Webinar; "L-1 Visas," July WSM Webinar.
Publications: Editor, Celebrate America! Northern California Fifth-Graders on Why They Are Glad America Is a Nation of Immigrants, AILA Publications, 2012.
Languages: Fluent in Spanish.