Main Nav
Visitors to Canada May Require Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

» Immigration Law Updates

Visitors to Canada May Require Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

November 15, 2016

Effective November 10, Canada instituted a new entry requirement.  Foreign nationals who are visa-exempt who fly or transit through Canada must possess an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to boarding a flight to Canada.  Potential visitors to Canada should consult the full list of visa-exempt countries found on the Canadian government’s immigration website.  This site also lists which visitors require a visa (as opposed to the eTA) to enter Canada, listed by country.  The online application for the eTA is also found on that website.  

Exceptions to the eTA requirement include: US citizens; visitors who enter Canada by car; and visitors with a valid Canadian visa.  Canadian citizens must be sure to re-enter Canada with a valid Canadian passport.  Canadian permanent residents must carry and present their valid permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD). 

Non-immigrant visa holders in the U.S. (H-1B, L-1, etc.) should determine if they require a Canadian visa stamp or eTA before flying to Canada, whether to attend meetings or apply for a U.S. visa stamp at an American Consulate in Canada.  The Canadian immigration website provides an easy-to-use tool for determining who needs a visa or eTA.  

News Alert Signup


“WSM is quick to respond to us and our employees' immigration needs.”